Wednesday, October 14, 2009

HOUSTON QUILT MARKET 2009

What a whirlwind tour. Set up was not so fun, especially because I had pulled an all-nighter, and that just doesn't work for me like it used to, oh thirty or forty years ago. But alas, my husband put on his McGuyver hat and here are a couple pictures of my booth. I went for clean and uncluttered; a place to kick off your shoes, ya know, (I sure did!) and visit with everyone. That's my favorite part. And hearing the response to my new Woodland Delight and upcoming fabric patterns.


We stopped and ran off to Schoolhouse where Sandi and I both talked about creating fresh shop displays. The room was packed, so most of the photos we saw were too far away or the back of peoples heads. But alas, Mary Abreu and Jona came through with close-ups. I want to scrounge around to find some other shots, because I want you to see the back of that jacket I'm wearing. It's one of my upcoming patterns and I love it!



Here are are some of my lovely neighbors: Patty Young in her very cheerful space. She makes me feel so tall. Then Anne Maxfield and Val Pillow of Pillow and Maxfield. Their booth was 3 thumbs up in my book (oops, I was trying to keep that 3rd thumb of mine a secret). My closest next door neighbor was Sandi Henderson, and I have no idea why I have no pics of her booth. We still haven't looked through our cell phone or Jennifer's camera yet, but this is a good start.

Now I had lots of visitors, but the photo's were just plain crappy (sorry, just being honest). Patty gave us a photo lesson using an awesome flash, which I must purchase ASAP. That's why her photos are always so bombdalicious and Jennifer used her flash to take that picture of Patty and I. Anyway, I only have one so far that I can share. Weren't Missy and Liz of Sweet Funky Vintage were ever so matchy in my booth?!

If you've read other blogs, you might have noticed that Michael Miller Fabrics set up an elaborate, uh, how shall I say, trailer park called Camp Michael Miller. At one point Kathy walked "across the street" into my booth and commented on how our side of the street was so sophisticated. We all had fun with it, but before we left for dinner one eve, Tim got this picture of the raccoon "roadkill". I think it was playing possum because next day the raccoon was fine.



The gnome and Christine (MMF) paid us a visit. Actually, Christine came to visit our comfy chair and we enjoyed her company. Oh, and the jacket Jennifer is wearing is another version of the pattern. The back is pleated, and you're not seeing that in my pictures.

I didn't wander away as much as I'd wanted, but made it a point to go find my Twitter friend and fellow fabric designer Michelle Engel Bencsko. We have never met in person, so here we are in her lovely booth!


Quilt Market would be incomplete without dinner one night with Joey and Jona (Fabritopia). Tim is taking the picture, but he was there cracking one joke after another with Joey. We just have to get together more often.


Okay, here are the winners of the GIVEAWAY I posted before I left for Market.

Trillium:
Paula, Seriously! You need to do something I hate for a change - my budget cannot keep up with you. This is TDF!I think it's my fav yet! I love those large scale flowers - those are coming to live with me. At least they can keep me company since my hubby will likely move out after this!

Julie @ Joy's Hope:
One, no scratch that, one hundred yards in each print please. Or some fat quarters... I won't be picky. ADORE IT!!! Need to build a new cabinet to hold the yumminess. My husband will most likely have words with you.

Oh my...you are amazing! These are stunning! How could you out-do your last line - it's stunning! And these are gorgeous! I love the brown and pink line - so perfect for my daughters room! Ok - I'm officially in love - when oh when will these be available? :) :)
.
Just send me your address and we'll send the goodies. xoxo
.
I want to thank everyone for such incredibly loving comments about my new collection. You all certainly make doing what I do more rewarding!

26 comments:

  1. LOve everything about your booth...and such a fun market post as well! Congrats to those lucky winners! (And can't wait for the new fabric to come out)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO looking forward to your new fabric collection and patterns. I adore the jacket you are wearing and the fabric couldn't have been a better pick for it. Finally, some patterns for women!!! Yay! Your booth looks fabulous! I just got back from the International Quilt Festival here in Houston and it was CRAZY!!! I forget how big the George R. Brown is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First let me first say I am one of your biggest fans, yet you have no idea who I am. You are truly my idol. I follow your blog and have bought several yards of your fabric. Enough to make my husband not like you as much as I do. In fact he probably doesn't like it much when I mention your name. But what does he know! (actually, he is pretty supportive). I can't wait for your patterns to arrive, as I will be one of the first to buy. I also love your friend Simone and have a stash of her bags and that beautiful Tiffany dress she made me over the summer. My dream would to meet you! I wish and aspire to have a fraction of your talent! Your stuff, all of it, is beautiful!! I love to sew, yet 4 kids (baby to teen) a husband who travels really don't leave me anytime for my passion. One day....

    I LOVEEEEE your quilt from the market. Is that a pattern, did someone make it for you, HOW can I get one (without my husband knowing of course)??? A HUGE fan, Marnie Peck

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that quilt is amazing. I am loving your fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous booth. Stunning. Perfect for showcasing your delicious fabrics and elegant style. I have never been brave enough to sew clothing for myself, but that jacket is A.MAZ.ING!!! I might just have to push away my adult clothing construction fears and make one. Wow. Love, love, love Woodland Delight!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh ya... is that a quilt pattern or just made up? I love how it showcases the bigger prints in a fun an funky way. LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the new designs! Any idea when they start shipping?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lorri, I understand they will start showing up the end of November!!

    The patterns, probably not til January. I'll keep you all posted.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Paula-
    I am a huge fan of your fabrics, but this line makes me want to sew things I have never attempted before!

    Your booth is so darling!

    Makes me want to sit down and chat with friends or relax and read a good book.

    Thanks for all the great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know it is always such a joy to visit with you, even briefly. The booth truly looked beautiful and I can't wait to play with your patterns. Sorry to let you down on the back detail shot -- after shooting Jona from behind in Patty's schoolhouse I was trying to behave myself. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful booth!Wish I could have seen it in person!

    And I'm still laughing about your third thumb.

    --Mary Beth (supa/true up)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks wonderful - thank you for sharing! I love seeing all the happy faces, happy designs and happy booths! So much work, but worth every bit I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That quilt is to die for. I love it so much. Oh how I wish I could have gone to the market here in Houston. I did think of it though. I look forward to the fabrics hitting the stores.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your booth looks awesome! I really need to know more about that flash.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aw, sad! I was hoping to see our picture here! (I'm guessing it was among the crappy ones! lol!) Your booth and fabrics are even more amazing in person and I'm so glad I was able to get in on the first printing! Yea! Can't wait to get them and make up something with them! So nice meeting you and I hope to run into you again at future markets!

    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, I love the quilt on your blog and want the pattern and fabric!

    And I am even more impressed you actually read and respond to comments on your blog. Not too many artists ever answer questions.

    Go Girl Go!

    ReplyDelete
  17. the fabric looks gorgeous and i can't wait to get my hands on some. and your booth? stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  18. that is one fabulously colourful and cute booth.. love it

    ReplyDelete
  19. It makes me so sad that you were in Houston and I didn't get to stop by and say hi! I would have loved to meet you in person! As it is, I have been so busy that I barely get to come up for air. {I'm sure it is that way even more so for you.}

    Super excited about your great new fabrics! Can't wait until I have a little time to create something fun with them... :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love you new fabrics and those polka dots are my fav. Beautiful new colors too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Paula - LOVE The new line. Glad to see you have some patterns coming out. By chance is one of them the cute patchwork aline that you have in your booth??? just a thought :) thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I LOVE your fabric. Your new collection is stunning, I can't wait to see more of it. I especially like the gray/white flowery design in the "pink" colorway. I am on the hunt for fabric just like that to reupholster some chairs of mine. (LOVE how you put it on those chairs in your booth!) I'm not having good luck finding upholstery fabric that is as stunning and modern as your fabric though - and I'm not sure regular fabric would stand up to my kids! Do you know any designers who design modern upholstery fabric?
    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  23. LOVE, love, love your booth. Can you tell me where you got the wall stencil? It is adorable. Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love, love, love it all! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful! That quilt is gorgeous!! And, I am in complete shock that I won your giveaway - thank you so much!! I can't wait to see these and play play play! So thank you! Your amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  26. such beautiful fabrics! wow! i really love that little orange dress too. is there a pattern somewhere for it??

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails